Skip to main content

Reply to "CCL Cancels 2020 Summer"

@Iowamom23 posted:

I am the "news source" for this information for my community. Like most news sources, I get my information from my city emergency services personnel, county health department and state department of public health and then I relay it daily to my readers. I tried to stop for a few days but people reached out and said it was important to have it.

As I'm sitting here at midnight on a Sunday putting together the news from the weekend, including COVID statistics, so my readers will have it tomorrow when they wake up, I have to tell you that I resent the implication that somehow "news sources" are sitting around trying to manipulate their readers. I, for sure, don't have time to mess with that. I'm hoping to have time to sleep tonight.

My job is to offer people the numbers and what our local health care professionals say ai bout them. How readers use that information is up to them.

I am sure you are well versed at how to do your job in media, and by no means would I try to tell you how to be a good journalist. And, I certainly can see where you would infer that my statement implies manipulation by the media.  

However, The problem is the interpretation of the data.   There is an inherent lack of understanding of the data.   It has arrested our country and destroyed lives needlessly.   Most of the misinformation has been disseminated by media,   Sorry but that is fact.  

Cases are rising as testing increases, but mortality continues to decrease.  The likelihood of getting a vaccine before heard immunity is reached is minuscule.   Staying or returning to shutdown isn’t feasible.  So, we are going to see increased cases,  but increased cases doesn’t equal Increased deaths.   If you reported it that way, kudos to you.