Skip to main content

Reply to "Central Region Playoff thread"

Having played Regional title games at Shepard / Parker Field - I'll just say something you never forget as a kid - is to play at the Diamond where you've seen the highest level baseball available as a Richmonder. As a player you dont quite get a good feel of exactly how many people are there; especially when in the dugout... It's just a special feel for a high school kid, and not forgotten...

And you way lost me when you mentioned the scum that is McGuire, Sosa and Bonds... The game is much better off with the Trout, Harper, McCutcheon era - and affords "normal" hardworking kids the opportunity to play in front of people like McGuire who really could do nothing but strike out or hit a HR... not really my idea of a baseball player. There are plenty of good guys in the game and always have been, that noone at all misses them.

VCU/opponents power shortage isnt totally due to the Diamond. Their slugging pct. was only .339 for the season Home and away... and their opponents .344 !!  29 of 54 games played away from the Diamond...

Originally Posted by PIS:

I agree 100% with Emanski.  

Simply closing the upper deck does not make it disappear.  Having played at the Diamond many times I never enjoyed the atmosphere.  And don't get me started on the size of the field.  VCU's coach told me they didn't have a home run hit there (by them or their opponent) this year until almost the end of the season.  

So while some may like pitching duels, most fans prefer a little offense.  Say what you will about PED's but nothing put fans in the seats like the HR's McGuire, Sosa & Bonds were hitting!

And if scores are inflated tonight, which I'm all for, will it be due to the dimensions or the fact that every team will be throwing their # 2's or 3's?  

Hope to see everyone out there tonight!  Maybe I'll save my $8 and hang out beyond the LF wall to collect all the HR balls!  My bucket is in need of a few new pearls!

Rich

www.PlayInSchool.com/bus_tour

www.twitter.com/PlayInSchool