Skip to main content

Reply to "Chance to play in college"

Welcome Alaskan.  Regarding your 2019 and your answer on the ACT/SAT "when the time comes."  There is a wide window for an incoming junior to take both.  My 2017 had a similar GPA.  But he started with the SAT in October of his Junior year, retook it in January (after paying a study program) and improved 200+ points (old 2400 scale).  Then he shifted gears and took the ACT in early April.  Did well but also retook in Sept of Sr year and scored 2 points higher.  SAT/ACT results had my 2017 in the 95-97th percentile in all of the areas and a whole range of academic schools opened up for him despite his mediocre GPA. 

But the key part is those tests need to be done and best scores achieved before the end of his Junior year if you want to be able to use them as a recruiting advantage in that Summer leading into Senior year when all but the top D1s are still recruiting.  That is if you think they will help him. Allow time for retakes, as most kids do better on the second try.  My son did not like the year long focus on the tests and study programs, but that was the consequence of him being lazy and not getting all A's.  In the end, without those really high test scores, he does not get recruited by a very high academic D2 and get the privilege of being able to play college baseball.