Skip to main content

Reply to "Chance to play in college"

3and2Fastball posted:

Before you spend $2500 to take your 2021 to a Showcase I would highly recommend finding out his measureables first.  If he isn't running at least a 7.5 sixty with an 85+ Exit Velo and throwing at least 80+ across the diamond or from the Outfield, there really is no point in Showcasing yet... And some would say he should have at least one of the following:

a sixty time below 7.1

an Exit Velo above 90

a throwing velocity above 85

Agree that $2500 for a soph to be to travel to a showcase is probably a bit much, but if it's doable financially then I say go for it....but maybe waiting until after his sophomore year would be more beneficial.   He was already a 7.2 kid in the 60 last summer, so he's got plenty of speed.  27 AB's with no K's against even average pitching is phenomenal so he can hit a little bit    To say you need one of the 3 things you listed before showcasing isn't reality.   There are some kids playing at mid-major D1's that don't hit any of those 3 numbers.     My son is a 2-way in college now. 6'1, 180 with a 93mph fastball.  He was  recruited by a couple schools as an IF and a couple as a pitcher.  Went as a PO, but is batting again this year too (junior year)    His best showcase ever during HS was 85mph IF velo, 90 exit velo and he was never a 7.1 guy in the 60 (probably still isn't).   If a kid can play, there is a place for him.  Maybe not at a Power5, but somewhere.