Skip to main content

Reply to "Chance to play in college"

adbono posted:

PABASEBALL wrote “he has great measurables and I’m sure he would stand out.....”

I attend Showcases regularly looking for JuCo players.  There are only a few things that turn a coaches head at these events. A sub 6.6 sixty time will do it. So will 90 mph + FB velo on the mound.  A hitter that makes a different sound when the ball comes off his bat will do it too. But that’s about it.  Nobody cares what exit velo a kid can generate off a tee with a Happy Gilmore swing. Nobody cares if a kid throws 85 across the diamond vs 89. Coaches recruit kids that are good players after they have seen them play in person with their own eyes. Good players have great hands and feet.  They also have good instincts. They know how to run the bases, they take good angles to the ball, they know what base  to throw to, and they have intangibles - like heart and leadership qualities. None of those things can be measured but they are the things that determine whether a player is recruitable. Just my 2 cents but most coaches I know have the same opinion. 

"He got his measurables done by a 3rd party there: 86 FB, 6.79 60yd, 86 EV, 87 IF. He's 6'1, 157 lb. Still scrawny in my eyes."

For a 16 year old that doesn't even weigh 160 lbs that is extremely projectable. There are levels to this. Lanky sophomore throwing hard will get interest. Senior is the same position no so much. I suggested putting him on a brand name team that way he doesn't have to turn heads at showcases, they will already be coming to him. 

I still disagree about the heart and leadership. That doesn't determine if a player is recruitable - his talent does. Coaches are seeing these guys 5 or 6 times before they offer in individual showcases and summer games where wins and losses don't really mean anything. Yeah a coach can ask around, but the truth is you can't measure heart, leadership, or any of that at a showcase/camp. Not everybody needs to be a leader. On a roster of 30+ guys the leaders will step up on their own and they will almost always be juniors and seniors that have been around and know the ropes