Skip to main content

Reply to "Chance to play in college"

Goosegg posted:

"I'm saying for almost any caliber player beyond upper level/5 star, the school you go to should be your priority from an academic/life fulfillment perspective."

We clearly agree about academic/40 year priority. But, I'm even broader: the school you go to should be your priority from an academic/life fulfillment perspective - regardless of whether you're an tippy top tier player.

My son lost his starting job every year for his first three years; literally played himself off the travel roster his junior year; became - for those three years  - the 15th pitcher in a 12 man rotation. He never gave transferring a thought (though, after his first year, I had a bout of temporary insanity as I explored the possibility.)

But, to be sure, while we can utter the words "pick the right school," only afterwards, with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, do we know what that really means. At the beginning of the process it's flying blind, trying to identify, isolate, and weigh variables and extrapolate all that onto a teenager and devining effects which go on longer than he has been alive! It's far easier for me to opine today, than while he (and we) were going through the process.

haha agreed on all.  I suppose that's how we ended up here on this site!  Everyone trying to help everyone navigate what is perhaps unnaivgable.  Still, appreciate the support, emotional above all.