Skip to main content

Reply to "Change up analysis"

GBM,
For the record I never said that a CU was not a good effective pitch. My pitcher learned to throw one early and didn't throw CB's until he was 15-16. His CU was was most likely his best pitch, he wasn't afraid to use it and worked well, but never threw a CU until he showed his FB. He was a pitch to contact hitter (less wrok on teh arm) at your son's age, so that ALL players on the team had a chance to develop. Nothing worse, IMO than having a very young team begin daydreaming in the field while the pitcher is striking kids out with CU and CB's, which leads me, personally to beleive that the W is very important for your 13-14 year old. Development is not all about winning, you see that everyday in milb.
Yes, son did throw in HS, CU on a first pitch, but actually he could have thrown a dirtball and had success, the reason being his primary pitch, was and still is the FB, and that they were afraid of.

I just don't get your way of thinking, but that's ok, if that builds confidance in your son, go for it. Problem is, if he someday makes it to college or beyond, his first pitch will most likely not be a CU, no matter how good it is.

FWIW, was watching a game the other day, pitcher threw a CU, the reply by the announcers was, you NEVER throw a CU for a first pitch, however, seems to me the pitcher didn't have his velocity that day, so that may have been the reason. Sometimes you just got to use what's working that day, but, that pitcher had a lot more experience in what he was doing than yours and mine and everyone elses together.