Skip to main content

Reply to "Change vs. Curve"

quote:
Originally posted by Gingerbread Man:
TPM,

Just curious, as you seem to be the expert here, what is the exact difference between a slider and a curveball. I am also curious to know where a curveball stops being a curveball and becomes a slider.

Personally i already have my own opinions on it but I would like to hear your professional opinion.

I am not in the business of baseball. In the professional world of baseball a CB is a CB and a slider is a slider. You can't tell the difference?
The slider breaks down and away and very distinct in difference so therefore are you saying that when someone throws a slider (used more often in professional ball than the true CB), the guy announcing is wrong when he says it's a slider and not a CB? I realize there are different types.

You didn't say the breaking ball was the best off speed pitch in BB after the FB, you said the curve ball was. Yes, we know they are all breaking balls.

You changed what you said (I know your explanations came after you made the wrong statement) and still have not come up with facts to support even a breaking ball is second to the fastball...in professional baseball?

bballman,
You bring up the same point as GBM did, it's very hard to tell in HS exactly what type of breaking ball is being thrown. In high school son threw a slurve, not a curve not a slider. I understand that, however, GBM referred to professional bb, and yess sometimes pitchers throw a ball called unknown because it is their own version.

As far as a cutter, although there is a break, I consider it more of a FB pitch than a breaking pitch, but each to his own.

I do realize that some use the term "off speed" as any pitch that is slower than a FB.

In professional baseball (what GBM referred to in his quote) he stated that the CB is the best off speed pitch in baseball, I simply asked for him to show where he got that information, something that he still is unable to come up with.

Some say the best is the slider, others the CU, so is this an opinion or fact?

That is all I asked from the beginning...