Skip to main content

Reply to "Change vs. Curve"

quote:
Originally posted by bballman:
I think the other thing that makes it difficult is arm slot. A traditional CB has a 12-6 break. It is all but impossible to get that kind of break from a 3/4 or low 3/4 delivery. Is every breaking pitch thrown with 2 plane movement a slider, or can you have a pitch with 10-4 movement be a CB and not a slider? I'm not sure, I'm asking.

Arm slot has a lot to do with the type of pitches you can master. My son can't throw a cutter due to his slot, and relies on a slider as his breaking pitch, never being a great with the curveball, which to throw one with success on the pro level, needs that sharp break he couldn't get. He went to college with a slurve, typical HS breaking ball neither here nor there, and came out with a true slider and curve ball. He has had to overhaul his change up and working on it, his 2 seam sinker is his pitch.

The big difference between the two.... one breaks down and the other breaks down and away (thus the slide), the slider appears more as a FB than a CB does(and faster). It also depends if you are facing lefty vs rightys to what you use (as with the cutter). Assume that a 10-4 if it moves away is a slider it it drops vertical it's a CB. The true curve and hardest to throw is 12-6, why it;s not used as much as the slider. That's my understanding and that is what I see in the difference in pitches, with that box (what ever they call it) they have on games, there is no mistaking, IMO.

There are distinct differences between these two "breaking balls", the higher you go up, the bigger the difference. Just ask a hitter.

The average slider most likely is that velo you mentioned, based upon a 90-92 FB (?), once you get higher a slider can be low 90 (using Chapman 100mph as an example).

That's why I have to chuckle when I hear people say my son throws a 2 seam, 4 seam, CB, slider, CU, cutter, you don't need all of those pitches and not even pros can master that many.

I am not an expert, I just wanted someone to supply where they got the info they provided. BTW, wikipedia does a pretty good job on the explanation.
Last edited by TPM