Skip to main content

Reply to "Change vs. Curve"

Most pitchers have to have a good fastball. Most pitchers will have a secondary pitch that they use for either an out pitch or a strikeout pitch. Very few have three plus pitches they can command. Most three/four pitch guys will have a third/fourth pitch that is used for show purposes. Those with three or more real quality pitches tend to be all star types.

The best secondary pitch differs from one pitcher to the next. For some it is the change, for others the curveball, others the slider.

Without knowing the exact circumstances surrounding “bballman’s” son, our scouts are taught to determine pitch types in several different ways. Number one is to find out what the pitcher throws. Then watch the spin and break/shape and lastly velocity. Based on velocity, typically true sliders are approximately 8 mph or so less than the fastball. True curveballs are usually a slower speed. However, some pitchers throw true curveballs at slider type speeds. Some pitchers throw sliders at curveball type speed. Obviously velocity is important for a good slider. Changeup is normally about 12 mph slower than fastball.

None of this is really means a lot because every pitcher is different. We have seen knockout 74 mph curveballs and terrible 74 mph curveballs. We have seen outstanding 90 mph fastballs and not so good 90 mph fastballs. What we don’t see a whole lot of is pitchers with three or more true quality pitches. We see lots of pitchers with two real good pitches. The pitch type doesn’t matter, the very best of every pitch type will dominate. However, For most everyone the good 4-seam or especially 2-seam fastball is a must. Velocity is very important, but movement and command is even more important IMO.

Bballman,

I’m guessing that if I were to watch your pitcher without any prior knowledge, I would call most all of those pitches a curveball, possible slurve. Other than the time he was FB:87, BB:80-81, Guessing I would have called all of those sliders.