Skip to main content

Reply to "Change vs. Curve"

quote:
Originally posted by TPM:

How can a 12/6 breaking ball be a slider?

I may have not made myself clear, there is a very big difference between how professional pitchers throw for their pitches and HS pitchers. You are watching very young and very inexperienced players at the lowest level at the pro level. It wasn't a knock, just making a point.

I agree that a breaking ball with 12-6 break shouldn't be classified as a slider. It's rather interesting that Kimbrel himself actually thinks his breaking ball is a curveball, in the which I mostly agree. But pretty much everyone besides Kimbrel himself insists it's more of a slider. Here is what "Baseball America" had to say on the matter before he came the big star he is today-

Kimbrel has the stuff and mentality to be a big league closer. He aggressively challenges hitters with his plus-plus fastball, which sits at 93-95 mph, touches 98 and has nasty life. He also throws an above-average breaking ball that he calls a curveball but looks more like a slider. He flashes a deceptive change-up, though he rarely used it in 2009."

There are times in a game where it is breaking straight down like a power curve and they call it a slider, heck, everyone calls it a slider.