Skip to main content

Reply to "Changing high schools for athletics?"

FoxDad posted:

We had one student transfer (public to public) because he wasn't selected to the varsity squad (baseball) as a freshman (really?  Cry me a river).  Initially he was prevented from playing (VA's transfer rules dictate the athlete must sit for a year), but he and his parents appealed and the initial ruling was overturned.  While the appeal was ongoing he was allowed to practice with the team, but was not allowed to play (though he did suit up and was in the dugout for games).  He had moved into his Aunt's house - his parents never moved - so I don't know how it was overturned.

In the end it was all for naught.  Ended up only playing 2-3 games that year and eventually quit the squad because the coach had rules about keeping their hair short (he had long locks) and he refused to cut them.  Sort of surprised he didn't appeal that too.

He did eventually make it to a JuCo squad (D1), but I don't think he ever actually saw any playing time. 

Had almost the exact same with one of ours a few years back... transferred in from a private, so was a sophomore.  He had some talent and could have developed into a player.  Part of the transfer rules required that he would have to sit a good portion of V games.  Even aside from that, he was behind a very good V starter and needed game time, so I assigned him to JV when we broke squads.  I explained everything to him in detail.  

The next day, I observed him at a school function and in a 1/2 hour snapshot, came away with the distinct impression that he was a "me" guy and a bit too enamored with the ladies.   Day after that, got a call from his dad, complaining that he wasn't chosen for the V squad and that his talents would be wasted on JV... that he would just sit out the HS season and get much better training with his travel teams.  I said OK, but before returning to my program, he would have to display that he had learned a bit more about what being a "team player" means.  I also said I would have to hear it directly from him.  Kid calls me back a little later and I hear his dad in the background telling him exactly what to say.  "Yeah, coach, I feel my talents would be wasted being with JV..."  A direct pipeline of bad parent crap being shoved directly into his ears and out of his mouth.  He played football too...  huh, what do ya know, same exact scenario played out.  Never made it back to either field after that.  No more sports.  But he had a lot of girlfriends.  Great guidance, dad.