Skip to main content

Reply to "CheaP shot"

"I simply do not believe that any of you would feel any differently if the player's father or mother was your friend."

You're absolutely right just. I admire your stance on this subject. You are one of the most respected members on this site. That didn't just happen...you earned every bit of it. We are all privileged to know you because why? Because of the great game of baseball. That is our common bond.

Unfortunately your friend's son was caught on videotape committing a terrible unsportsmanlike act which could have inflicted severe enough injury to an unsuspecting competitor to prevent that player from ever playing the game he loves ever again. Thankfully, it appears, the worst did not occur.

But let me tell you that I can, indeed, put myself in both your friend's shoes and in his son's shoes. It is a most tough and most uncomfortable spot for each of them. Honestly, for there to be an outcome they both are certainly praying for, they can not make a misstep. I know the son can redeem himself. I have a strong sense that he will.

And why do I sense that? In some way or another, decades ago, I was in the son's shoes...or at least his socks. I committed a shameful act and through my own soul searching journey, I quickly came to realize redemption. Although I was too young to be severely punished I knew full well I had done something horribly wrong. My redemption, as it properly should, changed my life. The same can happen for your friend's son.

On this website, your friend's son doesn't have a more vocal and harsh critic other than myself. I've read some commentary on other sites and most all of it is vicious, destructive, ineffective, and unfortunately a sad reflection on that portion of our society who chooses to comment publicly on such matters. I have been harsh, but civil. And hopefully constructive and effective.

And in that spirit I have reached out directly to your friend. I am willing to share the story of my shameful behavior to help your friend's son find his road to redemption. I'm a pretty good navigator, it's one of my strengths. Please let your friend know I'm willing to help. As I told your friend in closing about his son..."He can imagine the good young man that deep down he already is."

Thank you just.