Skip to main content

Reply to "Chicago Public League"

quote:
Originally posted by Coach 2:
I glance at this site from time to time but up until now have always resisted posting. I am not interested in becoming a part of the back and forth that goes on here between players, parents and gosh knows who else. The competitive banter that I have seen between spokespersons for the various club teams is particularly unappealing. However, on this occasion, regarding a high school game, I have decided to respond to the misinformation that is so typical of what abounds on these sites.
Firstly, Sullivan was placed this year in the conference with Taft. In my long tenure at Taft this is the first year we are in the same conference. We have not played in a number of years. Neither of us had any input in the allignment of the conference. We must play the teams in our conference (twice).
Secondly, Our starters were removed from the game while we hit in the bottom of the second inning. Players who will get limited numbers of at bats played and hit for the remainder of the game. In the bottom of the third inning, with the bases loaded and one out, the hitter was instructed to bunt and not run to first base. This turned into an inning ending double play. In the top of the fourth inning, the starting pitcher (a sophomore) was replaced by a freshman. At the end of the half inning the Sullivan coach informed the umpires that he did not want to continue the game, thus ending the contest. This was probably in the best interest of all participants. Even if the game were called because of darkness at that point, it would be a suspended game and continue from the point of suspension.
The disparity of talent between programs in the Public League can be very great. The problems encountered by the coaching staff in Public League programs are likely quite different and perhaps unappreciated by those in very different circumstances. I would simply hope that adults would hesitate to offer definitive opinions regarding subjects and circumstances about which they know little. Kids will be kids. They will debate, argue, brag etc. on these sites. As adults, we should be better than that. Finally, I will agree with previous posters that a game such as this benefits noone. Neither team learns much about how to play the game when the score is so lopsided.