Skip to main content

Reply to "Choosing 4 over 40"

So many variables at play here. What other schools are in the mix, what are his academic interests, does he like school, what position(s) does he play, etc.

I may be in the minority here but there are many non-Ivy schools that are great schools and not as academically stressful or rigorous that are definitely worth consideration. schools with great educations and networks. If your kid wants investment banking or PE maybe the Ivy or NESCAC is worth it.  If he is interested in engineering or pre-med there are some schools that are more/less conducive for that. Generally the higher academic the more lenient the school is on missing some practice for school. There are financial considerations as well.

My kid loves baseball. More than anything relating to academics. I am 51 and went to a crappy college and found something I wanted to do post college and it worked out for me. I encouraged my kid to try to find a good combo of academics while giving him the best opportunity to follow his dreams and passion in baseball right now. I encourage/threaten him regularly what our expectations are for him academically and hope that works. We will see how it turns out in a couple years…