Skip to main content

Reply to "Choosing 4 over 40"

I understand the allure and the appeal of going to a more "prestigious" school. I understand it may have some benefits. But for some reason people think your 40 year plan is going in the gutter if you go to an average school. There are a lot of kids who party at Arizona St, Florida State, LSU and Ole Miss who excel in life after college.

Truth is unless you're entering a field where big firms and companies with prestigious job opportunities and career trajectories are directly targeting applicants from a certain subset of schools then it really doesn't matter where you go, as long as you're capable.

Unless you're going to an Ivy, NESCAC/similar, a Duke, Vandy, Stanford, or engineering schools (CalTech), I really don't know how much the name on the degree matters.

If there were no scholarship money involved I wouldn't be in any rush to go anywhere other than a school with in state tuition. Some people prefer to pay almost 300k for a degree from a "good" private school. Their money their choice, I'll just have a hard time making sense of it.