Skip to main content

Reply to "Christmas ideas - 2020 grad playing college ball next year"

We now buy my son underwear and some occasional sweat pants and socks that he wears off the field. Otherwise, his college, a P5, pretty much dresses him.

School provides glove (personalized to son's design), he's a pitcher so bats and batting gloves don't come into it, but I think those are provided. When he travels, he used school provided duffel bag and backpack. They also gave him a winter coat, which I think is the only thing he has to return.

Also, just an FYI--son is discouraged from wearing high school gear or anything that shows another college logo (I think that is actually forbidden). He does wear some sweatshirts or t-shirts for pro teams he likes so those have been good gifts.

We don't buy him anything with his own school logo on it, the school provides the most cool gear and we can't compete with that.

Other D1s we met with kind of outlined what they would provide, which was not as comprehensive as he's getting at this school.

We have gone to giving him stuff like a television cable plan that allows him to stream unlimited stuff on his phone--which is nice when he travels. He did ask for a cap carrier that we found on Amazon since team has two or three different hats that go with the different uniforms they wear (when I want to poke at son, I ask which costume they're wearing that day, but that's a different thread).

Also got him MLB.com, some basic dishes for his dorm room, a bowl that lets you make real mac and cheese in a dorm refrigerator. A note on that — while son lived in a dorm with a cafeteria in it, by the time he got done with class, practice, lifting and mandatory study hours, he often got back to his dorm after it closed, so gift cards to various food spots have been much appreciated.