Skip to main content

Reply to "Class Average Metrics"

fly996 posted:
Go44dad posted:

Summer of Junior year means rising Junior, correct?

IE this upcoming summer is a 2021 graduates Junior summer.

If he graduates from High School in 2021, it would be the Summer of 2020 that's most important for posting showcase metrics and travel ball performance. 

I probably should have replied with your post of metrics.  Just trying to clarify.  Here is what I was commenting to...

fly996 posted:

These are the numbers to shoot for (or better) when you reach the Summer of Junior year (based on 2018 Perfect Game National numbers)

Fastball: 90 MPH
60: 6.88 seconds
Infield Arm: 88 MPH
Outfield Arm: 90 MPH
Catcher Arm: 81 MPH
POP: 1.88
Exit Velo: 93 MPH
Max Barrel Speed: 70 MPH

GO44DAD wrote in response:  So by summer of Junior year, you mean he has completed his Jr year but not yet started his senior year.  That is a rising Senior.  Just a language thing for clarity.

But pretending to be a college coach at different levels:

AC/RC of a  P5 who expects to challenge for conference title and hopes to host a regional:  Done with rising seniors, but might look at that if there is someone new I haven't seen the last three years, just in case.  My job is to know as many good players as I can, you never know what can happen, might need someone at last minute.  If any go JUCO, 4-2-4, or I take a job as a head coach at a another school.  Any rising Freshman or Sophomores, will want to know more from travel, HS coach. Rising Jr's, maybe pay attention, listen, learn about how good of a player they are, character, grades, projection, etc.  Most likely I already farmed the rising Sr's and would spend my efforts in lower age groups.

AC/RC of a D1 in lower half of P5 or very top of non-P5:  I'm looking, I still have a few spots to fill.  If I hear through the network of a kid not making the grades for a tougher school, I'm listening when the travel coach calls.

AC/RC of D1 #100 to #300:  I'm watching.  How are their grades?

AC/DC of top D3:  (I don't know a lot about this, Trinity in Tx is the only one, they are very good) Maybe take a look, how are their grades?

AC/DC of other D3 or D2:  Watching, how are their grades?

Top JUCO: How are their grades?  I have 24 scholarships, may need a couple depth guys, otherwise much like top D1.  

MId JUCO, NAIA: Definitely watching.

Really good numbers to shoot for.  But they still gotta have skills, the coaches have to know they will stick in their school academically and they are kids that really want to succeed.