Skip to main content

Reply to "Class of 2008 Commitments So Far -- VA kids"

That's right Midlo...NCAA rules do not allow them to announce a player without a NLI or signed scholarship...

However, like I said, there are numerous ways a player can be recruited. Not all players currently on a roster are getting money (25% does not apply to them). That's only if a player is recruited beginning with the 08' class. Also, that doesn't mean that the 25% given this year to recruit you cannot be reduced or eliminated next year based on performance in the classroom and on/off the field performance.

Players set themselves up each year to be a candidate for a raise or a canditate for reduction or dismissal.....

Look, that's why it is so important to do the homework on what situation your getting yourself into as a player. Do a history check and find out how your coach conducts fall tryouts/practices? How many players have ever been cut from their program and what were the reasons? How many players recruited were ever cut in the fall? What is the roster size of the team and will they be over-recruiting only to have to make mandatory cuts? Is the coach trustworthy...will he even be there next year? These are things that must be checked out and will become increasingly important as the programs learn how to deal with the 25% minimum requirement along with their roster size requirements.

Look the situation my son found himself in when presented with an offer to play baseball at a school that was on his top choice list may be unique. It still has what if's in it that may not be known until after the draft, and probably would be there wheter he signs a NLI or not...will my son be drafted? Could be a long shot, but I don't know. Would he accept more money in a scholarship offer later down the road if it bacame available after the draft and other drafted players sign and leave college (freeing up that more money)? Hell yes...Do you trust that our word is our bond and that we will fullfill our side of the bargain even if a NLI is not presented and signed or if injury occurs during his senior year in HS (non-career ending injury that is)? Dad says errrch! get back to you on that one....player listening to all this hubbub stops everyone from talking....takes his career and choices into his own hands, stands up and shakes the man's hand....it's done.

What are you going to do...?
Last edited by ARMYOFONE(RET)