Skip to main content

Reply to "Clayton Kershaw"

As the father of a former D1 pitcher, I feel awful for Kershaw.....but it happens at all levels from 10U travel ball up to the MLB  You know what you're getting into when you take the ball and step on the mound.  That being said, I have no idea why the Dodgers felt the need to throw in out there.  They had the lead and plenty of qualified bullpen guys.   If that happens to Kershaw at the start of a game....big deal, you're down 2-0....carry on with the game and he likely still gets the W.  It happens in the 8th, when he is rarely, if ever still in the game and it's a MAJOR story.  Throwing starters in in the playoffs as relievers has backfired so many times I'm shocked that teams keep doing it.    The mentality of a starter is completely different than a reliever....in every aspect from pre game preparation to stepping onto the mound with men on base instead of starting the game with bases empty.   I don't care who you are, that's tough to be able to switch your thinking back and forth