Skip to main content

Reply to "Clayton Kershaw"

luv baseball posted:

Who are these two pitchers?

GS 25 W 9 L 11 IP 158.1 ERA 4.43 

GS 35 W11 L 14 IP 198.0 ERA 3.27

The first is Kershaw and the 2nd is Greg Maddox.  What to make of it?  IMO in the playoffs you get no soft games.  The 95 loss Mets and Padres are nowhere to be found.  I think it knocks both pitchers down a rung when you start talking about all timers.  Neither is near the top 10 and I am unconvinced either is among the top 20 all time.  In fact I think Maddox was the 3rd best pitcher on his own team.  I would take Smoltz then Glavine over him.

One guy I would take over them is Bob Gibson who in 3 World Series was

GS 9 W 7 L 2 IP 81ERA 1.89 

You are reading correctly that is 9 innings per start.  He only got to 3 post seasons which consisted only of WS.  Had he played today and gone to the playoffs 10 more times with the multiple rounds and started another 25 post season games his numbers would have been incredible.

Also try this on if you have any doubts about Ruth being the greatest player and yes he was a top 20 pitcher and probably top 10.  He might be the greatest left handed pitcher to ever play.  He won 90 at age 24 and was a full time starter for only 3 seasons.  His post season numbers:

GS 3 W 3 L 0 IP 31 ERA 0.87  For the math impaired that is 10.1 innings per outing.  

Don't disagree but a 3.27 ERA is not bad at all. He had a career regular season ERA of 3.16. And that is still in a completely different realm than Kershaw's 4.43 (which is a full 2.00 higher than his regular season ERA). I love that Kershaw wants the ball but that is where the manager has to step in and say thanks but we're going to go with _____.