Skip to main content

Reply to "Cleaning your gear"

Will

Not a catcher anymore, but the equipment I use today is much the same.....

As you know cleaning the gear is imperative to keep it in top condition. As am umpire I wipe down my mask, chest protector and shinguards after every game. Now I its hard to expect every cathcer to do that, but here is my end of season methods.

Mask- I use the traditional mask, so I can undo all the straps and remove the leather pads. I was the metal mask in plain soapy dishsoap water. I wipe the leather pads with a rag sprayed with a kitchen antiseptic wipe. I want it clean and I want to kill any bacteria from sweat and dampness. I have tossed the harness into the soapy water as well...I clean the sun visor with window cleaner reassemble and during the season I store my mask in a mask bag...... Hockey style helmets depending on the quality have some removable padding so the process would need modified.

Chest protector- The main culprit in this is moisture...and then being stuffed into a gear bag...in the hot sun.......a sure recipe for odor....

CPs are usually made up from 2 fabrics,a vinyl outside and a fabric inside layer...they can be treated seperately......the vinyl side can be wiped clean with a good antispetic wipe..... For the inside a good in between measure is to lay the gear pad side up in the sun so that it gets good and dry.........then a liberal spray with Fabreeze antibiotic works wonders....

At the end of the season I make a mixture of laundry soap in a small bucket and take a brush...I do not soak the CP, but just brush the soapy foam over the inside layer.....let it air dry and fabreeze it as well......

Shin guards- soapy water wash, treat the inside fabric/padduing the same as the CP.........fabreeze......

Last tip is not to store the gear back in the bag for the off season. I hang it on clothes hanger in my basement......hope this helps....