Skip to main content

Reply to "Clearinghouse question"

Just to clarify ...

I have no problem with registering. I understand that is a non-negotiable. My question was to whether or not it was too late for an '05 to register.

I did register online, and will have the HS send his final transcript.

Followup - I called the Clearinghouse, and not too surprising, they did not know the answer to my question and referred me directly to NCAA.

The person I spoke with at NCAA did, however, have a quick answer to the question. They told me that it was not too late, and to simply register with the Clearinghouse and have his HS transcript sent to the clearinghouse for processing. So I am very relieved.

For those who may not be familiar with the transfer process, (I'm not either, but I'm learning) here is the crux of the issue:

If a student does not register with the clearinghouse, they are automatically considered a "non-qualifier". For a "non-qualifier" to transfer to a Div I school, they must either obtain the Associate Degree from the Juco, or they must sit out for one full year at the 4 year school.

Lesson #1) If there is any question about playing at an NCAA school, go ahead and register.
Lesson #2) If one does not register prior to graduating HS, it is not too late. (Note: if the student is completing 2 years at a JUCO and will recieve an Associate degree, they do not need to register with the clearinghouse.)

Hope that information helps someone else.