Skip to main content

Reply to "Cliff Lee"

quote:
We played terrible yesterday, struggled in every aspect of the game. We were down 9-1 late in the game What inning? and the opposing team sac. bunted twice, Did these result in two outs? and stole bases! I was furious! I was taught that if you were up by 8 or more late in the game How late in the game? you quit putting runners in motion, and held runners when they get to third base. I do note see a reason to sac. bunt late in the game when you are up by 8 or more. Neither can I! I consider this bush league. As someone who loves the game, and loves to see it taught the right way, this frustrates me. You would think a high school head coach would understand the unwritten rules of the game.

A couple other things I'd like to know about this situation aside from those in red above. Did the opponents have reserves in the game at that time? Once again, how late in the game? Last inning?

I also have a question for all the coaches posting here. Have you ever sac bunted in the last inning with an 8 run lead? And... Have you ever sac bunted ever with an 8 run lead?

I have coached well over a thousand games and honestly can not ever remember once putting on a sac bunt with an 8 run lead. I have continued to run with an 8 run lead, though.

I think it's embarrassing to give a player the bunt sign with an 8 run lead. Please do not take this as not wanting to score or end the game early.

I do understand the value in ending the game early if possible, just would rather do it without bunting. I'm guessing that most of you guys posting here would not give the bunt sign with an 8 run lead. Maybe I'm wrong!