Skip to main content

Reply to "Club or HS for summer"

Club will maximize the opportunities for this player.  He's a 2018?  Big difference between expressing interest to play in college vs. determined to play in college, might want to get that clarified...

We had a similar sort of thing happen with our HS Coach the past August.  HS Coach sent out an email stating all HS Varsity players will play with his Legion team for the summer, and not their club team.  I called the coach: told him our son had already committed to play for his club program and we had already paid the initial fees.  I also conveyed to the HS coach the recruiting activity my son was pursuing, and that a number of colleges indicating interest in him wanted to see him play non Showcase competition, and possibly see him play at a few high level tournaments where the colleges coaches normally attended.  (Music City, Nashville and PG WWBA).  

The HS Coach thought he'd be able to get into some high level tournaments.  The Legion team has since struggled to get into select tournaments, and they will only be playing local events.  The HS coach is focused on his program, not the individual player's goals.

We made the right decision.  Son has been a varsity starter since he was a sophomore, and even with our decision to go the Club route vs the HS Coach Legion route, my son has remained a starter and contributor to the HS team.