Skip to main content

Reply to "Club or HS for summer"

Lots of great feedback, let me answer some questions to see if that changes anyone's opinion.  The father is my brother in law, known him forever, played high school football with him.  Kid is 6' 2" about 180 - 190 (father is much, much bigger).  Kid was a catcher when he was younger, didn't like catching after he got a little bigger.  As far as playing 3rd, he made a ton of errors this season, but he is settling in.  

For the high school coach, he wants full buy in for his team.  Totally understandable.  Does not want the kid to pitch for another team and get hurt, or be tired for the his team.  

For the college opportunities, the kid wants nothing more than to play college baseball.  I asked him the other day if he would rather win the state championship, or play for a small Community College that is in a small town a couple hours away and he had a hard time answering that.  FYI, this is not a big college kid, would prefer a smaller school regardless.  There is a D3 coach who wants to see him pitch in a game, same for an NAIA, and a D2 coach that recently said he wants to see him pitch.  2 other d3 schools have expressed interest in him playing 3rd, but they see him as a two way guy, so they want him to pitch as well.

I guess the main issue here is what if the kid does play club ball this summer, and then gets cut for his senior season in high school?  This is a very real scenario, and all players and parents believe that if you don't play summer, you don't play spring.  Guess that's a luxury of a big school.  Will any college coach pursue him if he does not play varsity his senior season?

BBB