Skip to main content

Reply to "Club vs. High School baseball, next round"

It just seems that the old notion of community baseball is getting lost - and I think that is just a shame.

In many ways we are losing the "town" leagues that I believe were responsible for the great love affair between America and baseball. Everyone played the game as children - and grew to appreciate the finer points of the game as only a player can do.

Growing up, one of the local highlights of the summer was the Fourth of July baseball games between two small towns in central california. Huge BBQ pits and 2 games between the two towns.

Literally hundreds, sometimes over a thousand people (in a area with a population of no more than 10,000) would turn out to enjoy the BBQ and watch the games. 10 AM would be the minor champs from the two leagues and after that was the major league champs game.

Being the starting pitcher in that game was awesome. I remember, as I warmed up, a older gentleman coming over and wishing me luck. "Johnny Sain's my name - happy to meet you" (Yes that Johnny Sain). I remember running out to the mound, looking around the field and seeing that every bit of the fence had someone standing behind it - sometimes 5 deep. All there to watch me and my team. (gulp)

Those games are gone now... and we are lucky when the parents to come to their children's games. High school games are only a little better - perhaps drawing a 100 fans to a normal game, only the big rivalry game / senior day drawing anywhere close to what I saw as a 12 YO peaking out under my Lions hat.

Yes travel ball creates opportunity for players to test their skills against other better players - but when the good players are all gone, who remains to play the local games? And where will the next generation of fans come from?
Last edited by 08Dad