Skip to main content

Reply to "Club vs. High School baseball, next round"

Bulldog is right. You may disagree with him but what he describes is the way it happens. Level of play is determined by TALENT. If talent moves --- the previous level of play declines. I agree it has become an "everyone for themselves" mentality. I know because I'm guilty as charged. Is that all bad? Depends on which hat you're wearing and how deep your pockets are and what your goals are. If enough talent moves, it virtually destroys the previous level. Anyone that's been around youth baseball for 20 years have seen the migration of talent from rec ball to travel ball. Travel ball exploded and then elite travel teams started their predatory drain on the travel teams. Elite teams hurt the "travel teams" but now they too are facing competition from showcases teams for the same talent that --- strange as it sounds --- was at one time imbedded in the lowly recreational programs.

As I see it there are those out there that will destroy HS baseball in the name of doing "good things" for the talented players. If this takes hold in California and I see no reason that it won't, high school baseball will be effected from coast to coast border to border. This could be terrible for some while others reap rewards ---- rewards that in reality were destined for them wherever they played.

For the most part TALENTED PLAYERS produce successful events and teams --- EVENTS and TEAMS don't actually produce TALENTED players (even though they want to claim credit). Through all the juggling, spending, arguing and evaluations, the number of college and professional roster spots remains the same and the most talented will fill those spots.
Fungo