Skip to main content

Reply to "Club vs. High School baseball, next round"

Some great info and experiences out there. You can find ego's that are too big at both the HS level and travel level. When these ego's get too big they lose their focus which should be on the players themselves. Ultimatums are never a good bargaining tool, so I do not understand why either coach would put a young person in that position. Do these coaches go to their employers with ultimatums( give me a raise or I quit) every time for a pay raise or do they bargain and compromise.

Sports like gymnastics and skating you may need to peak at an earlier age so I can see where someone might make the decision to concentrate solely on that sport.

Baseball on the other hand is a marathon-season and career. I tell my sons and players it takes a lifetime time to learn the game, by the time you mastered it you are too old to play. I do not believe that you need to focus solely on the sport at young ages and coaches that expect that are not being realistic and expecting too much.

My younger son had the wonderful experience of being able to play for his HS as they made a run at the state title. Every game they advanced more people form the school and community would come to watch. They made it to the final 4 and played in front of about 1000 people as he faced Jake Ordorizzi and Highland and lost 1-0. Heart breaker of a game that anyone there won't soon forget. He never had this type success at the travel level, so this was quite a thrill. This was an experience that he will be able to share with many people in our community later in life.

My older son had success at the travel level, won many tournaments. Parents were the only ones in the stands. Many to whom I do not have contact with any more as their sons have stopped playing. Though he had won, he won't have the same memories my younger son enjoyed.

So my point I guess is that there is a need for both HS and travel but not an all or nothing for either. Players should have the chance to play for their HS team with pride and when it is done for the year have an opportunity to experience traveling and and play against players that HS just can not offer.

Just some thoughts