Skip to main content

Reply to "Club vs. High School baseball, next round"

I love this topic because it really strikes a nerve in both dugouts, HS and select ball. I coach select baseball in Houston, Tx. and I find that many HS coaches don't mind select ball at all and, if not encourage, at least don't have much of a problem with their players playing with select clubs during the summer and fall. I think they see it as an opportunity for the players to get better, play tougher competition, and receive additional exposure as well as possibly bringing college coaches and scouts back to their HS games so that other players may get exposure. On the other hand there are many HS coaches who despise select baseball and see it as nothing more than a waste of time and money because those coaches believe that "THEY" are all a player needs to make it to the next level. I look at it this way, both HS and select have their place in the development of the high school baseball player. For a HS coach or a select coach to think they are the only reason a player is being "seen" or getting college scholarship offers is insane. Every person that has contact with that player from parents to HS coaches to select coaches to instructors plays a role in the players development. I've heard from players about HS coaches that threaten to bench players for playing select ball during the summer instead of with the HS summer team. That puts the player and his parents in a real tough spot because HS baseball still maintains a significant position on the baseball landscape. As a select coach it irritates me that a HS coach would do this to a kid.

Since we all have a role here is the way I'd like to see it work. The HS coach has his HS players from Feb. till their HS season is over, usually May or early June in Texas if the team makes it to the State Championship. Any players that get selected to play select ball should get that opportunity without hassle from his HS coach. Any players that don't get picked-up by a select team should play with their HS summer team to continue to develop their skills and build team chemistry for the following HS season. Since high schools in Texas don't play fall ball this would serve as an off season for players that don't make a fall select team or any players that just want to take a break until the next HS season. I think this benefits all players and all programs.

A few things I know for a fact: 1) There is more practice time during the HS season and most 16-18 year old select teams don't practice because players come from all parts of town. 2) Select ball offers much more exposure for a player than HS baseball due to the fact that the colleges are playing at the same time as the high schools and since the HS coaches and pro scouts can't be everywhere, they tend to go where they can get the most bang for their buck. 3) The competition at the select level is better than at the HS level.

In the infamous words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along".