Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach called Son but no offer made but wants committment"

CatcherdadNY,

Sounds like some honest miscues and miscommunication here, mostly between your son and the coach at the D3 school.  I quickly perused your recent posts and gleaned that your son is a 2019.  He seems to be all over the place as far as what he is looking for?  In June you said he turned down a full-ride offer at a "low-level" D1, had a 50% ride at a D2 near your home (I think?) but son was not interested.  You may have also said he was getting interest from a small D1 NC state school?  

Sounds like he has lots of options, or has had lots of options?  Sounds also like he does not want D1 lest he end up like many of his older friends who have gone D1 but got cut in fall?  

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what his goal is?  You say he's an academic kid?  So is the D3 you visited the type that will definitely give him academic $?  

I think you're doing the right thing by coaching your son for the next conversation and that is to try to nail down if there's any chance at academic $?  But it sounds like your son has turned down a few offers before that had all sorts of money attached?  

I guess I'm just confused as to what he wants?  By August of rising Senior year he should pretty much be narrowing things down to at least (2) levels of play; D1 or D2, or D2 or D3, but it sounds like he has all three levels still in play?  Down home stretch for my son (August of rising Sr. year) it was HA D3s and D1s, period.  D2 was not in picture at all.  Sounds like yours is still entertaining all three?  No rule against it, just sounds to me like a muddled way to go about this home stretch recruiting run.

To be fair, your OP for this thread states only D2 and D3, but some of your recent posts talk about D1 also.  Maybe he has narrowed it down to D2 and D3.  Great step if he has!

Good luck and keep us posted.