Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach called Son but no offer made but wants committment"

During our sons college selection process I found that most schools have a section on their website that details out the cost of the school as well as how much aid you can expect.  Many schools list out that if your GPA is here and your ACT is here you can expect this much in scholarship money.  Or if your ACT is above xx we will automatically offer you in state tuition (for state schools).  If your not seeing it on the admissions page, take at look at the scholarship section, sometimes it buried in there.

Also, if you have not filled out a FAFSA you should consider doing so.  At the end of the process they will show you your expected contribution to your sons schooling.  Many schools use that number to determine financial aid.  For instance if your expected contribution is $10,000/yr and the cost to attend school is $30,000/yr the school will attempt to find an academic/financial aid package that translates to $20,000/yr. 

I would highly suggest requesting a meeting with an admissions consular and being prepared to talk about school financing with them.  Let them know that this is a concern up front so they can be prepared to talk about it as well.  I would suggest having your kid let the coach know that this is something you would like to do before making a decision.  At this point I think its appropriate for you to step up and talk to the coach as your the one paying for his education.  The coach will let you know if he wants to be involved in setting up the appointment or if he wants you to work directly with the admissions office.