Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach called Son but no offer made but wants committment"

CatcherDadNY posted:

So my Son informs me that a D3 coach of a school we did a campus visit with last week called him today and wanted to know if was ready to commit as they have others on their list..Son was caught off guard as they said at the visit that they were going to offer which we assumed was academic money as they had his grades which are very good and they were going to run them by admissions..we never received that offer..Son told the coach that he would get back to him soon and then he relayed the jist of the conversation to me..I advised him to tell the coach that they need to present a proper offer before we make a decision on a committment..I thought this call was rather strange..he has about 10 schools in both D2 and D3 after him now....your thoughts?...thanks in advance.

Yes, it is a bit strange but so is the world of recruiting, particularly when there is no athletic $ involved.  Your direction to your son is good, although you can take further advantage of the request for commitment and ask additional questions.  They may include things like...

- I am very interested but the family needs to know all of the financial details in order to determine feasibility and so that we can make accurate comparisons.  BTW, are there any additional opportunities we should be exploring or that you can help with in order to reduce total costs?  Grants, special scholarships, ways to reduce room & board, etc.?

- I am very interested but you shared that you were going to offer something on my visit, which we assumed would be related to academic $ I can expect and any other $ available, but we never had that discussion during my visit.  It is impossible for me to commit to something that I don't know what I am committing to.  Did you have some numbers to share with me and my family?

Also, make sure you have a clear understanding of where they see you fitting in the baseball program.  If applicable, share that you have other offers and plan on making a decision soon/in the next X weeks, etc.  This can help with getting exchange of details expedited.

Congrats to him on the interest!