Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach called Son but no offer made but wants committment"

Qhead posted:

I understand where OP is coming from - it is not out of the ordinary for a DII or III coach to request the PSA's transcripts, Senior class schedule, School profile, etc., and present the information to the financial aid department for a read as to what (if any) academic/merit financial aid the school could afford the PSA with those particular credentials, then let the PSA know.  It is not a binding "offer" per se, but it is a very good indication of the type of academic award he would qualify for if he enrolls and invaluable information to have when weighing decisions.  This does not apply to the very top/most prestigious HAs as they do not offer merit aid.  But my understanding is that those top end HAs will do a "pre-read" for need based aid and let the PSA know.  You can't (shouldn't) commit to buy the car without knowing the cost!!

I would agree that some coaches are much more helpful than others, and that is why others have said you have to take matters into your own hand.  Sometimes YOU have to do the work.  As others have said, call the Financial Aid folks yourself, and do a lot of internet research to see how they normally handle aid.  

Some schools actually offer aid based on where you are from, and some offer a lot of money based on your financials.  There are a lot of variables, so you have to do your homework in order to know what to ask the coach for.