Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach called Son but no offer made but wants committment"

Backstop22 posted:

This is a great thread for showing just how many variables are in play when it comes to decision time for your son and you.  Having gone through this with my 2017 who was in the D2/D3 and late low level D1 interest arena, we experienced the following:

• D3's and especially High Academic D3's are at a disadvantage in recruiting, so coaches try their best to get "early" commitments from kids.  These coaches are trying to recruit the best players possible, and they know that many of the kids they are recruiting will wind up at higher levels or in public universities with lower tuition.  This is probably the case with your son who the coach realizes is talented and likely to have multiple options.
  • Financial need eligibility is a huge factor for D3s who by rule cannot offer athletic money, and for the high academic D3s, typically cannot offer academic money either.  As one coach at a SoCal HA told us: "we cannot offer academic money because if that were the case, every kid on this campus would be entitled to it."  He admitted his team is entirely made up of kids who get a lot of financial need assistance or come from well-to-do families who can afford paying $250K to get a degree (we are neither and thanked him for being honest and declined his interest).
  • "Early Decision" and "Early Action" are the means by which coaches at the HA schools seek your son's commitment.  They will try to sell you on the benefits of going EA and ED (i.e. early acceptance, better chance at acceptance, being done with the decision, etc.), but it is really for them to know a kid they are recruiting is going to be accepted to their school and they are 95% certain of attending (there are some outs, but not many).  DO NOT apply this way unless you and your son are certain it is the ideal match of academic interest, baseball, and affordable.
  • If you visit a campus and meet with a coach, be prepared to talk at the end of your visit about decision timing, conditions, and what comes next.  My son did the talking during the visit, but at the end I would emphasize the following points:
    • We would not have come for the visit had there not been sincere interest on my son's part
    • As much as we are grateful for the coach/school's interest, the final cost numbers are going to be the major factor in the decision, and those won't be known for certain until he is accepted and gets the academic/merit numbers (we were honest and said FASFA told us he would get no need aid)
    • There are a lot of schools and baseball options my son is considering, so he will not be applying ED or EA but will keep the coach updated when he files his application and when he gets a decision from admissions
    • My son promised to update the coach with other tourneys and showcases he was attending and asked the coach to let him know when he would be making his recruiting roster decisions
  • While it is true that at most schools, kids still need to make the roster once they get to school unless they are on athletic money, if your son is being recruited actively, they are being counted on the by the coach to be on the roster and maybe even contribute. If a coach says he has room for only one catcher and he is seeking commitments now, he is telling the truth and you have to weigh that against keeping your options open.

Sorry, this wound up a bit long, but the OP's post got me thinking back to how confusing it all was as we were going through it.  Funny how now it seems so much more clear!

Agree with everything here. However the bolded statement above, EA and ED are not the same. you can apply and get accepted at as many schools as you want EA. My son had no less than 4 schools where he was accepted EA. That lets the coach know that the kid has been accepted and can get into the school. It may also improve their Chances for merit aid at those schools that offer it. However that does not mean he has to accept the offer, like ED.

So with EA the recruitment still continues if the athlete has not made a choice. 

3and2,

Yes when the player shows up in the fall, he is not guaranteed a roster spot in the spring. However at many if not most, if you were a recruited athlete, you will be on the roster in the spring. There are no roster limits in D3, so the coach can keep as many as he wants or as many as dictated by higher powers. However that does not mean the player will be on the travel squad, or get much playing time. My son started all four years, However being a starting pitcher, an being mostly used for conference games, there are plenty of games he was left home, if they were traveling to a non-conference game. This left room for other players that has a more realistic chance of getting innings or at bats.