Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach cussing out HS players"

Originally Posted by playball2011:
Originally Posted by Soylent Green:

The "so what" is that it only takes one or two parents or players hitting the record button on their iPhone, capturing the coaches rant, typing up a transcript to go with it, handing it to the AD and superintendent along with a formal complaint... And the coach is probably gone, or at the least seriously reprimanded.  "Wait, I'ma ol' school coach" won't make for much of a defense.  And the fact that 95% of the players and parents are totally supportive of the coach won't matter either.

That's just reality today, whether we like it or not.  Gotta be smart.

Not a good idea because you can bet there will be some parents who will go to bat for coach and it will divide players and parents. He's not calling kids f ing losers or anything personal just cursed in anger in general way. For all we know this was a one time deal out of frustration. Would u like to lose your job over one bad decision, comment?

If a parent is a perfect human being who never makes a mistake go ahead I guess. Bit judgemental in my book. Hope kid doesn't think it's ok to tape at work or in classroom when they don't agree w something. Can be a slippery slope.

Playball - Think you may have misunderstood my meaning, though I'm not sure how.  I wasn't recommending that parents or kids should go do this.  The point is simply that it can be done very easily.  Coaches need to understand this and be aware.  And to your point, once that happens... It matters little if some parents or all other parents "go to bat" for the coach. It potentially takes ONE family registering the well documented complaint... The credible threat of legal action... And a coach is at great risk.  The question isn't whether or not things should be this way, the point is that things are this way.  Those F bombs are truly explosive when you read them in black and white on a written transcript. Word to the wise.

Originally Posted by oldmanmoses:

I still say it is a so what situation. Sorry but bad language is not a crime. Might not be proper etiquette some people might be put off but I still say so what. As long as its in the course of the rant and not directed abusively at a player or players . You do not have to use bad language to be abusive, have seen that one way to many times then I care to remember.

Crime has nothing to do with it.  I played 5A football here in Texas... There's nothing any coach could say or do that will phase me.  And on a personal level, plenty of coaches in various sports have ripped my kid in similar manner... Doesn't bother him or me.  But... None of that matters.  Check the calendar... Its a different world today.  Coaches can go "old school" if they want, but they're taking their chances. Whether these rants are effective coaching approach is another question entirely.