Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach Fired for Negative Culture"

hsbaseball101 posted:

I had a parent get into my face the last game and basically threaten my job, very close to a physical threat too considering how aggressive and condescending his tone of voice was over his son not starting the game (despite getting some playing time in over half of the games so far and averaging 2 errors/game).  I thought I was being a too kind to a kid who has no business playing baseball but wanted to learn the game and enjoy some time with friends.  KId's a freshman, never touched a baseball before this year, is not an athlete at all, but the previous coach didn't cut him so when I took over I didn't think it was right to start making cuts mid season.  I think I'll fire myself after the end of this season, if I don't get shot before then at least.  

I have coached HS Sports for 31 years and have been the HC in 4 sports.  You need to go to your AD with this immediately.  Also, you need to request that this parent meet with you and the AD.  The AD needs to let this parent know what is at stake for attacking a coach.  I speak from extreme experience.  I've thrown down with 2 dads.  Both, as we found out later were on restraining orders and not supposed to be anywhere near their sons.  Both were dangerous.  I could tell you more but you would not believe it.