Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach Fired for Negative Culture"

Buckeye 2015 posted:

Unreal....my kids' HS had this exact same thing happen with a girls basketball coach.  Very good coach (my daughter played for her for 2 years)...with a great record.  A group of parents basically ran her off because she "yelled too much".  Did she yell....yep, of course she did, but I never thought it was over the line.  My daughter was the quietest kid you'd ever meet....I asked her "is Coach XXXX mean or anything in practice?"  She said "nope, she yells a lot, but nobody cares...we all like her".   Unfortunately a group of parents, 2 that coached some of the girls in junior high and had absolutely no idea what they were doing, but won games because of a ridiculous amount of talent.....were the two that caused the most issues.  Heck, one of the biggest complainers was a local CYO coach whose daughter quit the team the next year when the new coach didn't have her starting (she started with the previous coach).  Small town comedy at it's best lol

Well, you had to mention girl's basketball.  Ironic at best!  In fact, I have 6 games in the next 5 days and mentioned to my wife that I will not be home the rest of the week and her remark was that this was still better than when I coached basketball.  When I came to my present school, it was very controversial.  I asked the Superintendent to hire me since I left my other school 3 days before school stated.  It was a matter of honor.  The Superintendent couldn't believe I was serious.  I was!  He asked me to come back in one hour.  Long story short, I was hired as the baseball and girl's basketball coach,  In that hour they did some firing of coaches in losing programs.  The basketball team had won 3 games for 10 straight years.  We were fortunate and started winning.  I had great kids play.  We were averaging 24 wins a year and had beaten the largest school in the area 3 straight years to advance in the state tournament.  After that 3rd time, and after we were eliminated, I had a letter delivered to the school asking me to resign signed by several parents of my starters.  It seems I wanted to win a state tournament and they just wanted to have fun and keep in shape for soccer.   That year, I had missed so much at home and had forgotten to buy my daughter a Christmas present since I was scouting so much and coaching so much.  That decision was easy.  Within a few years they didn't win a game for 3 years.  Of course, they were probably having fun.  

Last edited by CoachB25