Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach holding a grudge against a player for for retaliation against parent."

Unfortunately kids figure out stuff we don't talk about through their own inquiries among their peers and ask questions. I'm honest with them so they are prepared for the unfairness they will endure and are not left wondering to figure out much later in life that people can be very mean and unfair even if they are "grown up"...and coach them to just keep putting in work because it will make them better than the others that are given opportunities and and don't know what its like to really truly want something and try for it.

My son is not that star athlete. He is biologically behind his peers, didn't hit puberty till 1 year ago when many kids his age hit it 2-4 years ago. It has always taken a lot of work for him to keep up with his age group. He works harder than many kids have to and we are just now starting to see that its paying off, this soccer situation seems like an unnecessary setback but looking far enough down the road it will likely help him. I would objectively (as if a parent could actually objectively judge anything relating to there sons and daughters) place him at probably number 7 or 8 overall on our 11 person soccer team. Meaning factoring all the qualities a soccer player might possess. Some kids are faster, taller, kick farther, etc. His speed is dramatically changed this year but is still seen as good but not great. He is next to last one off the bench for his positions on a 17 person varisty squad. Only 2-3 positions ever get subbed. Mostly 2.

Thanks for sharing RJM. Its encouraging we are somewhat on the right path. They aren't allowed to cut in our programs, So that would have been an interesting message sent if he would have been cut from both varsity and JV as he looked out of place on JV last year and ran circles around most kids they played against. We didn't say a word as he was getting some much needed time on the field to develop. He does very well this year on Varsity but is not that standout guy with mad speed and ball skill. He makes up for a lot in his decision making and the coach even told him he was the smartest soccer player on the team. If he was cut we would most definitely have sought other options for him to play or just did travel fall ball and likely would not have returned.