Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach initiates email; then no response"

CSTX,

Communication is essential to this process.  As you have now learned, your expectations and timetable is different from the coaches reaching out to your son.   There is an old saying on HSBBWeb..."the recruits timetable is typically not the same as the coaches timetable".    This is because there is vastly more supply of recruits than than there is demand.  The coaches make the rules and the decisions.   When they are ready to move forward with your son, you'll know it.  Your son should continue to reach out with updates, milestones and requests to visit campus for coaches he's already met.   He should also be reaching out to programs that interest him.  This is essential at this time.  Call and follow up with an email.

The coach is busy trying to get additional recruits to campus or to showcase events to see them play again and then make  decisions with either his boss (HC) or more coaches on who to offer from their pool of recruits.   On the other hand, you  and your son are trying to make a decision what schools are really interested in my son and which ones are the best fit.   And so the late D1 and D3 recruiting kabuki dance begins...I experienced it several years ago with my son who attended HeadFirst and then was urged by coaches to attend several prospect camps as a follow up to get additional eyes on him.  My son prioritized several prospect camp choices.  We attended one camp and he was offered.   We were done.   I'm simplifying two years of recruiting, but those were the important and meaningful highlights.  The coaches moved very quickly when it was in their best interest.

As others have said, don't take it personally.  This is how business is conducted.  It is a hurry up and slow down process that is maddening.  But you can be assured of a couple things.   First the coach wants to recruit the best possible kids he can get through admissions and the coach wants to win baseball games to keep his job.

As you are going through this I suggest you think like a coach not a parent.   Listen to what they say, and more importantly what they don't say.  Their motivations are clear as day.   

As always, JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth