Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach initiates email; then no response"

old_school posted:
SSBuckeye posted:

Just to add a little more perspective to this thread, I'll discuss an experience my 2017 had with a Power 5 D1 school.  He went to their camp the fall of his senior year (last fall), and was one of the only kids they talked to at the camp.  The coaches were generally not present during most of the camp, but when he pitched they all came out to watch.  After he was done, he was called out to sit with the pitching coach behind the screen behind home.  No other kid got this treatment.  They asked for his transcripts and test scores as soon as he got home, which he sent them.  They confirmed that they were officially recruiting him and they would be in touch as  they tracked his application through the process.

Then, basically nothing.  This was my son's top choice, but he quickly became confused and bitter.  Months passed and other schools were more aggressive in their communications, weekly texts, knew what he had for dinner, knew the girlfriend's name.  But all he got from the P5 school was an email every 3-5 weeks with some message about how they were still tracking his application.  Five and a half months and three offers later, he let the P5 school know that he was no longer considering them.  Thanked them for the interest, etc.

Immediately he gets an email wanting phone numbers of coaches, etc.  Within two days, the P5 school called him and offered the best deal he had to that point.  But he was so disillusioned by that experience that he said no thanks.  Whether that was the right thing to do or not, that's how he felt.  It had really gotten to him.  Anyway, the point of this story is that you really never know what's going on behind the scenes.  Some schools are simply not as good at it.  Some schools may have players they like more and are stringing you along.  Who really knows.  Just know that unless you're an obvious stud, these stories are not unique.  Many fine folks have gone through the same thing.

What I take from this story is the player had better think long and had about how he felt during the recruiting process. Poor communications skills and lack of follow up tend to follow a person, coach and / or an organization across everything they do. if they frustrated you quite a bit, you felt ignored or generally not in the plan as they were attempting to recruit you why would it change once they actually have you...?? It sounds like the young married couple who complains that they thought the partner would change after they got married!!

My guess is your son made a good choice regardless of the offer being better at the end.

I agree with your thoughts on this.  For me, some of the stuff I have read in this thread on coaches would be a huge red flag.