Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach's Son"

57special posted:

If your son can play SS, then there is no way in hell that he can't adjust and play 3B. For that matter, he should also be able to play OF. That's where most SS end in college, anyway. Just keep being useful, and hit the ball.

I don't want to get into my eldest's situation, but let's just say that I know of what I speak. Ironically, he might finally end up back at SS in his sophomore year in college. The last time he played a full year of SS was a Freshman in HS...I never got what they were doing with him in the interim.

I will say that around here it is very rare, if not unheard of, to have a Freshman play Varsity SS, unless it is on a small town team.

I get the thought process behind that, and it makes sense. I'm sure he is capable of playing other positions, but having almost played exclusively SS his whole life, he is not at the level of the other starters for now, which is fine. Playing third for the first time in scrimmages, seeing live balls off bigger kids with beards isn't going to end well for now until he gets more reps under his belt. He will be fine, but he is not there yet.

Not a small town team, medium sized school, but I'm not exactly from a baseball hotbed. There are plenty of talented players in my area, but to find a team with 5+ college commits of any level would be rare and the cream of the crop. That is fairly common in other states. You can go to any HS game within a 2 hr drive and most likely find a freshman on the field probably 70% of the time.