Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach's Son"

PABaseball posted:
Dominik85 posted:

Relax, at 14 he doesn't have to play varsity yet. Just continue to get better and in a year or so he will play whether at ss or somewhere else if he can hit.

I'm definitely relaxed, just posing a question to see if others have been in a similar situation as a coach or parent.

But I also don't subscribe to the wait your turn method. You're either better than the kid at your position or you're not. Kids don't think about leveling expectations, especially very competitive kids with goals bigger than making a team. They want to be around better players that elevate their game and they want to play in meaningful games. 

If you take the - he's only a freshman - approach, it becomes the - he's only a sophomore approach. He's also a wrestler. Had to wrestle off the other guy at his weight for a starting spot, so that is where I'm sure it becomes a frustrating. 

That is what I love about wrestling. If you are better than the starter and you have the guts to challenge him, then do it. Prove you belong through a wrestle off. You win Your varsity, you lose you either wrestle another weight or you wrestle JV. 

We talk about guys pushing each other in Baseball. In wrestling this is even more true. There is no waiting your turn. There is no eye test. The better wrestler wrestles. And the best wrestler is decided on the Mat.  

My youngest wrestled. I did not feel it was a very goods fit with baseball. He went to Districts every year and always showed up for baseball tryouts late. Fortunately the baseball coach was understanding. He was a catcher. And even though he was late to by days or weeks to tryouts, he was in better shape than any baseball player on the team. While all the other catchers were failing at wall squats, he could go all day. 

Do you mind me asking what weight class? 

Sorry for taking this in another direction.