Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach's Son"

BishopLeftiesDad posted:
PABaseball posted:

I'm definitely relaxed, just posing a question to see if others have been in a similar situation as a coach or parent.

But I also don't subscribe to the wait your turn method. You're either better than the kid at your position or you're not. Kids don't think about leveling expectations, especially very competitive kids with goals bigger than making a team. They want to be around better players that elevate their game and they want to play in meaningful games. 

If you take the - he's only a freshman - approach, it becomes the - he's only a sophomore approach. He's also a wrestler. Had to wrestle off the other guy at his weight for a starting spot, so that is where I'm sure it becomes a frustrating. 

That is what I love about wrestling. If you are better than the starter and you have the guts to challenge him, then do it. Prove you belong through a wrestle off. You win Your varsity, you lose you either wrestle another weight or you wrestle JV. 

We talk about guys pushing each other in Baseball. In wrestling this is even more true. There is no waiting your turn. There is no eye test. The better wrestler wrestles. And the best wrestler is decided on the Mat.  

My youngest wrestled. I did not feel it was a very goods fit with baseball. He went to Districts every year and always showed up for baseball tryouts late. Fortunately the baseball coach was understanding. He was a catcher. And even though he was late to by days or weeks to tryouts, he was in better shape than any baseball player on the team. While all the other catchers were failing at wall squats, he could go all day. 

Do you mind me asking what weight class? 

Sorry for taking this in another direction. 

160. Although now that the season is over, that number is probably closer to 175. He's 5'11 so he looks like a stick compared to most of the 5'8 built kids he's going up against.

Wrestling is great, but not very good for baseball. The calorie deficit (even if not cutting) and the toll it takes on your body right before baseball season is tough. 2.5 hr practices everyday of nonstop sweating and movement aren't exactly ideal for growth. 

Still, if I could give any parent advice for a young kid I would say have them wrestle up until 8th grade and then see if they still want to pursue it from there. Bar far the most valuable and rewarding sport. When he was in 5th grade he placed 4th in the state but was on the B team. He lost a 4-3 wrestle off to his teammate and state champion at the same weight. That's the way it goes sometimes. Arguably the two best on the team and one wasn't starting. 

Last edited by PABaseball