Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach's Son"

I've posted this before, so...

Sooo... My kid was a really good SS, 3B and 1B... Until he got to HS...

In his Freshman year/Fall Varsity season, Coach mainly played him at SS & 3B in practice and every game, until the last game... He stuck him out in LF... He had never played an inning of outfield ever, so it was slightly concerning, since he also had never even practiced taking fly balls or anything... But he did well and even threw out a runner at home who was tagging up... He was told at the end of that game that he would be the starting LF'er for the Spring season, so start shagging balls to get ready... So over the Christmas break I got him a OF glove and I hit probably 1000 or more fly balls to him at the field... There was a senior playing 3B, so no problem,...

So, we start the season and 3 games in, Coach decides that he's changing the kid to 2B (so had to buy him another glove), but he's really never played there before and has not practiced at all, so he doesn't know all the nuances to the position... He played about a week there and then during a game where we were losing like 12-0, bases-loaded, he charged a slow-roller and the ball hopped up and hit the heel of his glove and everyone safe, next play Coach immediately moved him back to LF... (1-error in a week in a blowout, and he was gone... pretty harsh)...

Forgot to mention... this entire time PG has him ranked like in the top 5 Third-Basemen in the 2016 class for Florida...

So he played LF for the rest of the season, and got somewhat serviceable out there, learning on the fly...

Sophomore season, he's set to be the starting 3B, when we get a Senior transfer in and Coach see's that the kid cannot play LF, so he moves my kid back out to LF, and he plays there the entire year except for one game at 1B because of a suspension... Summer league team plays him in LF because the HS head coach tells the team to play him there...

Junior Fall season he plays the entire Fall at SS, because our Senior SS is the #1 ranked player in the nation and is taking the Fall off to weightlift and do workouts with MLB clubs... Kid does GREAT at SS and Coach tags him as the backup, and says he will be the starting 3B... We then get another Senior transfer who returned back to our school, and he out hits everyone (including the #3 overall pick in the 2016 MLB draft) and kicked my kid back out to LF... Summer league team plays him in LF because the HS head coach tells the team to play him there...

Kid commits to Oklahoma State as a 3B...

Senior season comes around and we have a new HC... He says my kid will be his starting 1B... I'm like, OK whatever... Even though he has literally played only 1 game at 1B in the last 4-years and is a D-1 commit, and is STILL ranked within the top-ten 3B in FL... Kid plays EVERY game at 1B for his Senior season...

At Oklahoma State during Fall games he mainly plays 3B, but the position is manned by All-Big-12 1st team Garrett Benge, who is not going anywhere and 1B is being manned by the Reigning Big-12 HR & RBI Champ... So he's also not going anywhere... Kid has a great Fall, but he's red-shirted...

He transferred to St. Petersburg State College, where he was the starting 3B...

So that's my story...

Last edited by Bolts-Coach-PR