Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach's Son"

BobbyBaseball posted:
Trust In Him posted:

Bolts - what a journey.  Moving him around like a game of chess, for the benefit of the team.  Imagine in my son's case where in hs he was an infielder, D-1 puts him in the OF (last played OF as 12 year old), All-American all 3 years, now back in infield.  It should have made your son more versatile and playable wherever his journey takes him.  Trust in the process.....Sounds like he is well on his way, good luck

I agree with you about the process and versatility.  However, I think coaches need to be more invested in those players like Bolt's son who have placed faith in that coach AND who are good at their primary position.  Moving a player because he honestly thinks that would make him a better more appealing player is one thing.   The biggest problem I have with Bolts' story goes back to the comment my son made to me (in my reply to Bolts).  How good would that player be had he been cultivated as a 3rd basemen or SS (with other positions sprinkled in)?  Bolts' story tells me that the coach neither prepared him nor promoted him for the recruiting process.  I could be wrong, only he could tell us, but I'm going to bet that the HC had very little to do with the offers received (aside from answering questions when asked).  I'd also bet that the travel ball coached and program had more to offer in this regard... Just my guesses... 

BOBBYBASEBALL - BINGO.