Skip to main content

Coach's Son

I want to start by saying this is not me being unrealistic or feeling entitled to playing time. 

I have a 2022 who is currently bouncing back and forth between JV and varsity. He is a better SS than the current varsity SS by both the eye test and the in game performances. At practice the kids mention and joke about it, everybody knows.  Only problem - he is the returning starter, the coaches son, and only a junior. So two more years of this. 

Is there a right way to approach this? The starter is a decent player and I don't expect poor performance to be an issue. But my 2019 is a P5 commit who committed fall of sophomore year and the younger one is way better than he was at that age, so I have a good idea of what I'm seeing here. 

Obviously this is not something I will ever speak to any of the coaches about but is this something the other players need to do? Something the other coaches need to bring up or is it just the situation and you deal with it? Admittedly, he is not as strong at third, considering he has never played the position and the second baseman mashes. So the swapping positions isn't in the cards. The school system is great so not considering a transfer either. 

I'm not one to cry daddy ball, especially because the other kid is a competent player, but I also don't want to see the same thing unfold next year. Any advice? 

Original Post