Skip to main content

Reply to "Coach's "support""

@fenwaysouth posted:

When a coach gives his "support" to a pre-read, does he usually tell the player that he's doing that?  Does he ever tell him? --  The Coach is sponsoring or championing your son's pre-read with Admissions.   Your son is on the border of interest to hopefully serious interest.   The pre-read is getting to the business end of HA recruiting, and Admissions always has the final say.   Your son is sending his grades and transcripts into the school, so yes everybody knows this is going on.   In my experience, you will hear either "yes", "no" or "he has to bring up the GPA or SAT, ACT".   

My 2022 had a meeting with a HA D3 coach today, coach said he's all in on him for baseball and has sent his info up for evaluation.  Didn't say anything about "support". -- He isn't going to do a pre-read for nothing.  In my experience the support is implied.   Coaches only do things when they want to or need to.   Good luck!

Should 2022 follow up and ask him?  Appreciate your thoughts. --- Did they give your son a timeline?  They should have or possibly your son missed that data point.   My son did a number of HA pre-reads.   It took between 3-5 business days for almost all them.  Your son should absolutely follow up if he has questions or if he doesn't hear back in 7-10 days.   Whatever you do, do not let up on the gas with other opportunities.   This is the recruiting time of year he should be talking to as many coaches and schools as possible.

Again, best of luck!

Fenway, thanks for your thoughts and for your experience. No timeline from this particular coach or at least that one that the boy heard, but the coach did say that he would get back to him as soon as he heard back from admissions. Others that have asked have been less than clear about timing so I am going to encourage the boy to follow up and see what they say. Big week as he has three tours/coach meetings still to go and I will have him add this to his list of things to ask the coaches. No stepping off the gas until he finds the right fit and gets the right offer and even then it's no guarantee until ED. Good stuff, thank you for the help!