Skip to main content

Reply to ""coaches have to win or they lose their jobs""

Not to be redundant as I have posted this many times here before but when I became the HC of the baseball team, I was given one year to win.  I was told that in the interview by the AD and in front of the superintendent.  I was also made the HC of the girl's basketball program.  The baseball program was alright.  The girl's basketball program was a joke.  In general, all sports at this high school were a joke and the school was often referred to as a "coaching graveyard."  I was fortunate in that the athletes in both programs bought into what I wanted to achieve and the school allowed me to bring in my assistant coaches.  We became an area powerhouse in both programs.  The school followed suit and is now an area powerhouse.  I recall the AD, who was not in my camp, remarking that I had earned another year when I was evaluated but he stated that I still was on a short leash.  It wasn't until we had proven winning programs in both sports that he relented and came over to my camp.

For any coach to "win," they have to "win" kids.  I have been blessed with outstanding records in the 4 sports I have been a HC in.  The truth is that it was always the kids.  When I was barking, ranting and acting the fool, they understood the method to the madness.  They were the winners.  I was blessed to get to go along for the ride.

I forgot to add that there is a sport at this high school that is not winning this year.  They did not do well last year but were close to .500.  I expect that this coach will be released. 

Last edited by CoachB25