Skip to main content

Reply to "Coaches... If you have several great catchers on your team... which one do you start?"

playhard314 posted:

Assuming they hit equally, which one is your starter?

A - The best receiver

B - The best at blocking 

C - The best pop time / best thrower

(I know, having multiple great catchers is not likely, but I'd really just love to know which skills you value most in a game at the high school level!)

game7 posted:

IMHO:

Most important is blocking.  Second is throwing.  Third is receiving.

Edited to say:  WRT throwing:  I focus more on accuracy than on raw poptime.

A 2.4 near-the-bag is better than a 2.2 chest-high.

Game7 is spot on in regards to accuracy--I saw something recently which showed how much time was lost on an inaccurate throw. I see a lot of catchers who claim to be 2.0 that don't throw anybody out; either because the runners aren't held or they can't "game throw." 

Also agree that blocking is most important--if you can't block, you need another position. I can't imagine watching a game with 11 K's in two innings--UGH!

In youth/High school, I think throwing is overvalued and receiving is undervalued. Watched a 16u game this weekend, where the opposing catcher made a mediocre pitcher look like Greg Maddux. To our five LHH, he was getting strikes 2 baseballs outside the plate. Our kids/parents were losing their minds but I say, tip your cap to the kid for a great game and shame on us not to adjust. His arm wasn't flashy (didn't throw anyone out or stop us from running) but he made a big difference in the game with his receiving.